Frequently Asked Questions:
How is it different from rowing?
On weekdays, practices will begin at the Long Lake Regional Park in New Brighton, MN. We travel regionally for events as well.
June through August.
How much does it cost?
See Programs for options. RCBC membership covers boats & paddles, and liability insurance.
For optional events, there are additional fees for gas, camping, food and race entry.
What equipment do you need to buy?
- Paddles are sleek, lightweight, high-tech composites. They are not your grandmother’s or grandfather’s heavy BWCA touring paddles.
- PFDs will be worn at practices. You’ll want one that fits correctly and is easy to wear while paddling. We will have several samples and sources to purchase them at the informational meeting.
What clothing do you need?
For most of the season, shorts, T-shirts or tank tops are fine. Old running shoes or water shoes are important to protect your feet.
How can I help?
We are a non-profit that relies heavily on volunteers. If you have an interest in helping the Rice Creek Boat Club with events, accounting, general administration, coaching, marketing, or donations, please contact us!
Cross training gets results!
- Sarah Tokos – Irondale HS grad. Named to USA Jr World Team 2013, winning 2 Silver medals with partner at first nationals ever. Photo Finish at 2012 Nationals (K-1 500m, Silver); Made Jr National Team 2nd season of paddling; Bronze 500m K-1 at 2013 Lake Placid International.
- Devin Arenz – St. Paul: Past Vasaloppet 42K champion. Was 7th with his brother 3 years ago at the Au Sable canoe marathon.
- Kate Ellis – Minneapolis: Part of a Midwest team of masters paddlers who won the Women’s Na Wahine O Ke Kai (outrigger race) in Hawaii. One of the most sought-after female paddlers in the country. Skiing feats too numerous to list.
- Mike Brumbaugh – St. Paul: kayak paddler, winner Chippewa Triathlon, multiple Two Harbors Kayak Festival wins.
- Ben Hugus – The best teenage paddler in Midwest, finished 5th at Wisconsin’s High School State Championship ski race in 2008.
- Jennifer Caldwell – Photo is on ‘The Wall’ at Telemark Lodge. Placed 6th several years ago at the General Clinton canoe race (among all the top guys!)
- Serge Corbin – The King of marathon canoe racing trained with Pierre Harvey (Top World Cup skier in the ’80s) in Quebec.
- Al Limberg – Won the Au Sable canoe marathon in 2006 (at age 48!). Finished 34th at the Birkie about 10 years ago. Many Top 5 finishes at the Vasaloppet 42K race.
- Tim Treibold – World class paddler for 30+ years with many victories in the biggest races. Won a trip to Norway at the Birkie years ago for winning the Citizen’s race.